Nothing helps you protect something like thinking about how to attack it.
This philosophy is at the heart of nearly everything we do at IOActive, but it’s particularly crucial during the creation of software and hardware products.
IOActive helps companies understand the threat surface presented by a given project, which threat actors are most likely to target it, what techniques they’re likely to use to exploit which vulnerabilities, and what business impact could result from those attacks.
We understand that the value of threat modeling does not lie in a complex methodology, but in its ability to accurately modeling what will happen when that product goes live. We take a simple yet highly effective approach to
- Deeply understanding the application functionality
- Create a security-focused visualization of the application’s components
- Map the attacker perspective onto the architecture
- Identify vulnerabilities
- Indicate which attacks are most likely for each threat actor
- Map successful attacks to business impacts
- Create recommended controls for each attack tree
Threat Modeling should not be considered just a Due Diligence checkbox; it’s crucial to understanding how a given system will be attacked in the real world.
Using this proven methodology, IOActive can help you secure any hardware or software product.